Monday, August 29, 2011

Overview of Hosting


At the beginning of meeting my host student I was very excited and ready for the new experience. My China trip was still a fresh memory but I was still tired. After a day or two, I noticed Lucy didn’t really want to try new food, or go anywhere. She just wanted to shop.

My family was really welcoming and we worked together to keep Lucy comfortable. I wished her and the Chinese kids would’ve taken more advantage of this experience and would’ve tried all foods, with no excuses and no faces.

I really enjoyed the times everyone spent together, at times we really bonded and many laughs. This experience really made me see the differences between cultures, the aways Lucy and the Chinese kids were raised, and their different personalities compared to us.

Hosting someone was really hard and it was nearly impossible to keep up with homework, but I don’t regret the experience. I’m glad that everyone bonded like a family and I think that’s the best thing the American kids wanted. We just wished our host brothers and sisters were more open to new things. I also wished Lucy would’ve been more social with me.

I think it would’ve been nice if we went to trips with the kids like Empire State building and Bronx Zoo. Hopefully the Chinese kids stay in touch! And the Americans’ bond doesn’t change. I enjoyed the things I told Lucy about the city, and learned stuff I didn’t even know. I hope she listened and will never forget what she learned and saw to compare and contrast China and New York. 

Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment