Sunday, August 28, 2011

A Ride Around Xi'an


After leaving Beijing we arrived at Xi’an. Xi’an is rich in history and culture. Xi’an is one of the four Great Ancient capitals of China. In Xi’an I learned that China was unified under the Qin Dynasty. The first emperor of China, Qin Shihuang, ordered the construction of the terracotta soldiers. The terracotta soldiers were discovered in the spring of 1974 by farmers diggeing a well. These terracotta soldiers were meant to protect the emperor’s spirit after death.




At the site of the terracotta soldiers, we also ate lunch. We had handmade noodles for the first time. Personally, I think handmade noodles are the best. It was interesting to view how they are made.

The most memorable moment in Xi’an was our free day, where we explored the city. It is in Xi’an that I saw Muslim Chinese. I always knew there were all types of religions all over the world. However, it was difficult to picture Muslim Chinese until I saw them in the flesh. We went to a mosque which was beautifully constructed. 




After visiting the mosque we rode bikes around the walls of the city. This was the highlight of my trip to Xi’an, because I’d never ridden a bike before. Who else can say they learned how to ride a bike in China?



Monica 

No comments:

Post a Comment